Sunday, May 17, 2009

Week 20

I went to The Homestead for the first time, with my way paid courtesy of the Gates Foundation. The Homestead isn't decadent like Hefner-decadent, but it is somewhere along the way to there. Not content with just horseback riding and golf, the resort also offers archery, skeet shooting, and falconry, all for a price. Everything has its price. I didn't even KNOW one could hire out a falconer, but for $65 you can get an introductory lesson at The Homestead. You can even pay to have a guide take you hiking. I did wonder if Gates would notice a $260 bill on the statement for an in-suite massage, or $155 for a Highlands Maple Sugar Wrap.

You can tell it is a high class place if there is no telephone in the bathroom, and no coffee maker in the room. For coffee, you have to get room service, which will cost you $7.50 a pot. "For your convenience a 17% service charge and 5% tax are added to your check. Dining charge of $5 per person applies." For juice to go along with that coffee, plan on $8.50. You could always skip the service charges and pay for the food that is in the room already, such as the bottled water for $5.00 or the eight ounces of jellybeans or cashews for $15.00.

I don't think I'll be going back to The Homestead in the near future. Unless maybe Bill wants to hire me.

I'm sensing a trend.

2 comments:

  1. Did you straighten it up a bit for me, before you took the picture? Thank you.

    Labels: gardening ??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, this is all you. I would never intrude upon your resolution that way.

    ReplyDelete