Saturday, March 21, 2009

Week 12

This week was the first time I used the E-ZPass lane on the tollway. E-ZPass is a system where high-tech transponders in your car allow you to whiz through the tollbooth without slowing down, automatically recognizing your vehicle and deducting the toll from your prepaid account. Unfortunately, I had neither a high-tech gadget or an account.

I had not been through the Powhite tollbooth since it had undergone renovation. A long stretch of Jersey wall that was not there previously separates those with E-ZPasses from those who must pay with cash. This Jersey wall was not there before. I thought the wall was for cars getting off on Forest, and expected to be able to merge down the road. My expectations were wrong.

As I realized what was happening, I also remembered the stark sign I had passed warning of up to $500 fines for something, which I had a sinking feeling was for being in the wrong lane at the wrong time. Being a good citizen with an aversion to large fines, and even though it meant I would be late for a doctor's appointment, I found an exit several miles up the road and turned around to settle things with the Toll Lady. Unfortunately, the Toll Lady said not only would I have to call in to talk to the Toll People, but I would have to pay the toll now that I was going north. 70 cents. So I did that, went several miles up the road and headed back south, this time being careful to stay to the right of Jersey. A new Toll Lady was happy to relieve me of another 70 cents.

I dutifully called and pleaded my case to the Phone Lady. She asked my license plate number. "Did this violation happen at 3:12 PM?" I neglected to check the time, but that sounded about right. "Were you driving a C230 Mercedes Benz?" I realized I wasn't going to be able to claim it was a case of mistaken identity, so I told Phone Lady I wanted to pay. "Credit or debit?" Credit, of course. "70 cents will be deducted from your next credit statement." I don't think I have ever used a credit card for such a small amount, or spent so much time trying to get through a tollbooth. There was nothing E-Z about this at all.

I think I'm going to have to reconsider this resolution thing next year.

3 comments:

  1. I got frustrated reading about your experience. That must have just about pushed you over the edge. According to my calculations, you did not save time with the EZPass experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't frustrate me at all. I've got the Obama cool thing going on. I'm just glad it happened so I could have something to write about this week. I was getting desperate thinking I might actually have to take the initiative on something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Last week! But I just checked my statement, and they only charged me 50 cents. You got scammed, dude.

    A.

    ReplyDelete