Sunday, August 9, 2009

Week 32

Darien, Celeste, Elyse, and I went to Washington, D.C., on Saturday. In addition to the Asian and African museums, we also visited the National Museum of the American Indian. It had an extensive display of the works of Fritz Scholder in an exhibition called "Indian/Not Indian." I had only seen a few of Scholder's most popular works prior to this, but seeing such a large representation of his work all in one place was quite impressive. I loved his use of color and form and subject, as well as the irony and the pathos. One quote that stuck with me was his vow never to paint Indians, a reminder to all of us never to say never. I enjoyed his sculpture as much as his paintings. I'm sorry I didn't discover the display earlier in the day. I had to rush at the end because the museum was closing.

Darien is back from vacation and the house is getting back to normal.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see the clutter is back...it just happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the blurriness excitement that I'm home, or an attempt to protect my privacy, but disguising all the secrets in my mess?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were watching me take the picture, rolling your eyes. It made me nervous.

    ReplyDelete